Monday, August 1, 2011

Gabriella Avery Wagner

Gabriella Avery Wagner
July 22, 2011
12:50 am
7lb 8oz
19 1/2"

We had a wild month in July. I started having a few pregnancy complications around the first part of July. I am monitored really closely in every pregnancy and in one of my routine NST (nonstress tests) the Dr. noticed the baby started having drops in her heart rate. She admitted me to the hospital that day for constant monitoring of the baby. That was Thursday July 7 and my Dr. had already sent me to Labor and Delivery twice that week.
My Dr ended up letting me go home that Sunday with a scheduled appointment Monday morning with the Perinatologist. I was readmitted Monday morning, with the plan that I would not be going home until the baby came. There was about 4 Drs. trying to decide the next plan of action. We went back and forth with different plans. Finally everyone agreed that I would be induced July 21, the day I turned 37 weeks in my pregnancy.
It was a long couple of weeks but it was a big comfort to know the baby was safe. We are forever thankful to our parents for helping us with our girls pretty much during the whole month of July. I don't know how we would have done it with out them, they were AMAZING!

(The details of my labor follow, if you're not interested, just look at the cute pics!)

The night before I was to be induced they moved me to an active delivery room and Trev and I ate Indian food and watched Harry Potter til it was bed time!! The nurse told me she would start me as soon as I woke up so it was up to me when we would get started! I could NOT sleep all night, so I got up at 4:30a and took a shower and called the nurse. Luckily my Dr was already there on a delivery so they had me completely started by 6:00a. After about 8 hours of labor I decided to go ahead and get the epidural. That only worked for about 4 hours then started to wear off. The Anesthesiologist kept coming in and giving me extra shots. But eventually it just stopped working completely. At the point the pitocin was as high as it could go so my contractions were extreme. After about 5 hours of that and the nurse checked me and I was still a 4 it was just too much and I started to cry. I think once you kinda let go mentally then it gets 10 times worse! I just cried and cried. The nurse and the Anesthesiologist stayed by my side for the next 2 hours trying to get my epidural to work. The Anesthesiologist push 12 different vials through my epidural and everything burned off within minutes. Nothing was working and he had done full c sections drugs and I could still move my legs and was miserable. So he finally decided to redo the epidural for the third time. The nurse checked me and I was at a 5 so they decided to go for it. They got me in position for the third epidural and I suddenly felt tons of pressure and was sure the baby had come. I started screaming and crying and they were like WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!? And I said the baby is here. The nurse checked and she said Trevor could you push the button for me really quick? So he did and the nurse yelled CODE WHITE CODE WHITE... the Anesthesiologist pulled the third epidural out and grabbed all the stuff and got out of the way. About 12 nurses flooded our room and there was madness. It was kind of cool to have so many nurses in there because I knew most of them from my stay in the hospital. A random Dr came in I have never met and he said "Hi, I'm Dr (I can't remember)" Then he they were robing him up and the nurse got one glove on him and I said she's going to come out and he said go ahead and push on the next contraction and I said NO REALLY she's going to come out right now... and out she came and the Dr. barely caught her with one glove on right on the hospital bed. Right after he clamped and cut the cord my regular Dr came running in. She's awesome she made it to the hospital in about 8 minutes but still missed the delivery but she finished everything up. She laughed cause she looked at my screen and it said { checked at a 5, third epidural, delivered } all within like 10 minutes of each other. The nurses that knew me best stayed with me and one stayed and held my hand and rubbed my arms. They were all very sweet! They were all pretty amazed that after all the drugs I had I got right up and got in a wheel chair. The Anesthesiologist I seriously loved, and was so glad he stayed by my side. He apologized over and over and told me he didn't know what happened. I think I was just freaking out cause I didn't know how long my labor was going to be but it seemed to be going no where and I had a 36 hour labor with Isabel and I was just picturing dealing with it for a whole other day and I just got exhausted and overwhelmed since I was in labor for 19 hours. ANYWAYS it was all worth it and after about a day, the feeling of, that was so horrible I'm NEVER doing that again wore off. After spending time with Gabi, she just melted my heart and I after telling everyone she was my last baby I changed my mind and said I just couldn't say I'd NEVER have another one :) She had/has the CUTEST CRY ever! That was the first thing I said, even my Dr said that when she walked in.
Grandma Rock with baby Gabriella. My mom loved her up!! I am soooooooooo extremely grateful for all my parents did for us. They took such good care of our girls all month long. They gave each of them constant attention and made sure they both were always feeling loved. I can never thank them enough for giving my girls so much love. It was a huge comfort to me. Look at Gabi's cute squishy face in this pic!! OOH I love her!
Grandpa Rock and the girls counting all her fingers and toes and making sure everything was in place.
Isabel COULD NOT WAIT for her sister she was so excited to see and hold her. I think she was a little overwhelmed at first but she warmed up to the idea really fast. I'm so surprised how well Olivia has handled a new sister. She is VERY sweet and always tells me she loves her baby sister. She doesn't get jealous and I'm so proud of her.
Proud (and tired) daddy with baby girl #3! He was so amazing during the whole delivery and very cute!! When it was all over he cried a whole bunch!! The last hours were over stressful on him and when she got here he cried and cried!! CUTE daddy!
Proud Grandma and Grandpa Wagner. They helped so much too!! We are so lucky to have such awesome Grandparents for our girls!Getting ready to go home!! YAY! We only stayed one night and she cried most of the night. Around 3 in the morning the nurse talked me in to letting her go to the nursery. But I felt totally guilty and had them bring her back at 6.We brought a preemie outfit, being prepared for a small baby like our other two, but we couldn't even fit it over her head!! Luckily I brought two outfits.On our way!! Til our next hospital stay...which was actually the next day after going home, but that's a blog for a different day.


3 comments:

Katie said...

I didn't see this until now!!! I totally got all teary eyed reading about Trevor crying. HAHAHA I am a nerd. Love you! Love your girlies!!!!

FrankandAsh said...

I love hearing other people's stories, it makes me feel like mine wasn't that bad:) lol.. Although it makes me much more nervous for this one! Well congrats, your wonder woman going through all that:)

Jessi said...

I'm so sorry you had such a horrible labor experience! :( I love you! You are amazing! And baby Gabi is SO worth it. Look how beautiful she is! Ooooh I love this baby.